clicking the picture of luke and christy takes you to the Asking for Trouble website


Are you here because you want to read about studying Clown with Monsieur Gaulier in Paris? Go to July 2011 and start at the bottom with 'first day of clown school'


Friday, February 17, 2012

The Garden Opens


An hour of standing on the soft grass with a script. Running lines, Running the bunk-bed routine without bunkbeds. The hilarious moment where Luke thinks Rosie Bear is in his hand but Christy missed him mime-snatching her. Christy waving her empty hand at Luke, “I’ve still got Rosie!” Luke’s confused face. Me clutching my laughing tummy and trying to translate.

We have an hour in the Umbrella Revolution to try to sort out about the fence, but Barry Morgan and his world of Organs are running a little over time. We rush up to the Peep tent to do what we can of the finishing touches in the down time.

Peep – so pretty

Back in the Umbrella, the fence solution is 16 metres of black fabric and a whole load of safety pins. The techs have closed faces today – they have had a day of problem solving logistics and are polite but a little less relaxed. Luke is precise and thoughtful, judging aesthetics and angles. By the time we leave there is a plan, even if we haven’t tried it completely.

I head off to my first box office shift – to what is widely pegged to be the most highly photographed box office in history. 



It’s the opening night launch party for the garden but there’s only one show selling tickets so Box Office is empty. I sit from 4pm to 10pm behind my computer and watch the people. The VIP media launch is at six and even 15 minutes beforehand there are still fluorescent vests and hammers and star-pickets.

A troupe of Front of House staff arrive in sequins and bow-ties and lycra and tails. They gather by the gate with programs and a doorlist, ready to face the VIPs. I watch the fireworks reflected in the city buildings and listen to the echo of the speeches through the PA. At 9pm the general public arrive and for half an hour they are queueing round the block. I read the program cover to cover, waiting for my shift to be over and deal with about seven customers total. At 10pm I cycle straight home in the cool night air to my tiny bed in my tiny room. Read Howl's Moving Castle by lamplight.

No comments:

Post a Comment