clicking the picture of luke and christy takes you to the Asking for Trouble website


Are you here because you want to read about studying Clown with Monsieur Gaulier in Paris? Go to July 2011 and start at the bottom with 'first day of clown school'


Saturday, July 31, 2010

chinese pole and nellie the elephant

Yesterday we wrote every idea we had for the show, for a scene or a moment or a skill, on pieces of paper and stuck them on the notice board.

Today we went to Auspicious and sat on the couches in front of the notice board and looked at them. The auspicious office is small and warm. The folk all say hi and welcome and there’s a fishbowl full of lollies and tea for the making. We talked about what our process might be for making each scene. One is an impro clown game, one involves looking at our interview transcripts and finding the ideas we like the best, another will be about layering voice and sound over a pretty strict physical sequence. It felt like a good ‘to do’ list for things to happen the next few times we come together.

And along the way we came up with new ideas and added to the existing ones. Loved the idea of Christy being the little character who occasionally yells ‘mad tricks!’ and throws herself off things. It made me snort into my teacup. And of me singing ‘Dog! Ahhh’ instead of ‘Flash’ from the flash Gordon soundtrack.

Did Chinese Pole with Luke this morning after tumbling while Christy did computery things. My first ever Pole lesson. Luke with a tea-towel soaked in goo. Something rich about the sticky, amber rosin-and-linseed-oil mixture. He climbed the pole and stickeyed it down and then we waited a while, testing occasionally to see if it had dried enough for climbing.

I felt so much more safe and solid on it than I expected to. After a rope it really is literally more solid. I like the rhythmic, swinging gait of the climb and though my feet slipped occasionally I never thought I would fall off. It’s probably that thing: learning the very basics on a piece of equipment is easy and then you plateau because everything else involves serious skill and strength.

I handed over the Arts Vic application to Luke, all the papers neatly in order and paperclipped, the budget added up and the cover letter signed. Now he just has to add the set drawings and the DVD and Christy add the transcript and the whole thing is ready to go in the post.

Now I’m on my way to Byron Bay for the writer’s festival. Went home to Montmorency and packed my bags and emptied the compost and said goodbye to the dog. Left the house with my little red trundle-along suitcase and my laptop full of dreams singing:
“Nellie the elephant packed her trunk and said goodbye to the circus…”

Was still singing it in my brain as I slid up the escalators at Southern Cross Station and went to find Jono.

No comments:

Post a Comment